Every individual possesses a unique approach to learning and retaining information. There are several good surveys available that can help to determine an individual's preference. Do you know what your favored approach to learning is? Do you know how to help your tutees whose learning styles may differ from your own?
We will be working with results generated by the VARK questionnaire. VARK stands for the four learning style preferences: Visual, Aural, Read-write, Kinesthetic. Many people will show a preference for one of these styles, and many others will show nearly equal preferences for two or more styles. It is helpful to consider your own preferences, how these preferences influence the way that you work with students, and how you might help students to study according to their own preferences.
- Please complete the VARK inventory online. Choose the "questionnaire" button on the Webpage at http://www.vark-learn.com/english/index.asp . Write down your score for each style. Read the helpsheet(s) for your preferred
style(s). Which of the suggested strategies do you already use?
- Read the helpsheets for all of the different learning preferences, including multimodal. Do you see any strategies that you could use to help your students? If there are students who keep regular meetings with you, you may find it helpful to have them go online and fill out a VARK inventory. You may be the first person who has ever tried to help them find strategies for studying that are tied to their learning style.
- When you have completed the questionnaire and read through the helpsheets, please send me a brief
message containing the following:
1. the breakdown of your VARK score
2. one study or learning strategy that is tied to your learning style
3. one study or learning strategy that you can use with students