Majors and Minors
Requirements for Major
- A minimum of eight units in religious studies, including Religious Studies 101—Introduction to Western Religions, and Religious Studies 102—Introduction to Eastern Religions. The major must include at least six other units, selected on the basis of a student's post-graduate interests. (See the description of "Tracks for the Major" below.) No more than four 100-level courses can be counted for the major.
- All courses for the major must be taken for a numerical grade. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the department faculty.
TRACKS FOR THE MAJOR
Students may choose one of two tracks for the major: a general track or a graduate studies track.
General Track—This track is intended for students with a broad interest in religious studies, or who may be planning a career in ordained ministry, social work or other work in the field of human services. Requirements of the General Track: Religious Studies 101, 102, one course in each of the four areas in religious studies at Albion listed below, and at least two other courses, chosen in consultation with a religious studies faculty adviser.
Graduate Studies Track—This track is intended for students planning to continue religious studies at the graduate level. Requirements of the Graduate Studies Track: Religious Studies 101, 102, one course in each of the four areas in religious studies at Albion listed below and at least two other courses, chosen from the single area in which a student intends to do graduate studies. Students electing the graduate studies track for the major must register for at least one unit of directed study for advanced research in their senior year or before.
AREAS IN RELIGIOUS STUDIES AT ALBION
(1) Biblical and Jewish Studies
Current courses in this area include: 121, 122, 215, 221, 222, 320, 321, 322.
(2) Theology and Ethics
Current courses in this area include: 131, 232, 234, 242, 250, 270.
(3) Asian and Comparative Religions
Current courses in this area include: 211, 212, 260, 288/289.
(4) Islamic Religion
Current courses in this area include: 104, 204, 205, 289/389.
Requirements for Minor
- Minimum of five units, including 101, 102 and three additional units, two of which must be above the 100-level.
- All courses for the minor must be taken for a numerical grade. Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the department faculty.