Career Planning

Appendix: Privacy Rights Policy

Albion College Policy on The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (The Act) of 1974 (as amended) is a federal law which states (a) that a written institutional policy must be established and (b) that a statement of adopted procedures covering the privacy rights of students be made available. The Act provides that the institution will maintain the confidentiality of student educational records and access to them by students.

FERPA Definition of Records

The Act defines education records as records, files, documents and other recorded materials which contain information directly related to a student and which are maintained by Albion College or a person acting for the College. The term education record does not include records of instructional, supervisory and administrative personnel and educational personnel ancillary thereto that are in the sole possession of the maker thereof and which are not accessible or revealed to any other person except a substitute; records on a student who is 18 years of age or older that are created or maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist or other recognized professional or paraprofessional acting in a professional or paraprofessional capacity, or assisting in that capacity and in connection with the provision of treatment to the student, and are not available to anyone other than persons providing such treatment, provided, however, that such records can be personally reviewed by a physician or other appropriate professional of the student's choice; records of students as employees unless the employment results from the employee's status as a student; and alumni records.

Access to Records

FERPA accords all the rights under the Act to all students at the College. This includes the right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. Albion College will make disclosures without consent in the following circumstances.

  • To school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is defined as a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic or support staff position (including law enforcement unit and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted (such as a company providing services with respect to financial aid awards, or other administrative support and research services, including those related to student testing and retention; an attorney, auditor or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a person assisting another school official in performing his/her tasks (such as employment responsibility). A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his/her professional responsibility.
  • Upon request to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
  • To persons or organizations providing students financial aid.
  • To accrediting agencies carrying out their accreditation function.
  • To persons in an emergency in order to protect the health or safety of students or other persons.

Albion College will also release information to be in compliance with a judicial order; this release will occur only after an attempt has been made to contact the student at the last known permanent address.

Under certain circumstances information will be released to parent(s)/guardian(s). On an annual basis, students are expected to notify the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs whether or not, for tax purposes, students are dependents claimed on the income tax return of their parent(s)/guardian(s). The vice president for student affairs will facilitate this notification process. A representative of the College may communicate with parent(s)/guardian(s) relative to the following circumstances: discontinuance of enrollment; medical (including psychiatric) examinations required for the maintenance of enrollment as determined by the vice president for student affairs; alleged violation of a College regulation that will likely result in suspension or expulsion from the College if the student is found responsible; absence from the campus when there is reason to be concerned for the student's well-being because the student's whereabouts are unknown; academic or disciplinary probation; needed medical or psychological attention, the nature of which might jeopardize a student's ability to maintain the status of enrolled. Parent(s) or guardian(s) in these cases will be defined as the individual the student has recorded as the parent(s) or guardian(s) on the admissions application. A student may change this designation at any time at the Registrar's Office.

A listing of the types, locations and custodians of education records follows.

The rights of this policy are extended to all students enrolling in Albion College after January 1, 1975.

Directory Information

At its discretion the College may provide directory information in accordance with the provisions of the Act to include: name, permanent address, name of parent(s)/guardian(s), local address, Albion College e-mail address, local telephone number, dates of enrollment, class year, majors, minors, concentrations, adviser, degrees earned, dates of degrees, awards/honors/scholarships, sports and activities, and height and weight of members of athletic teams. It should be known that it is the College's choice to release this information, and careful consideration is given to all requests to insure that the information is not released indiscriminately. A student may withhold directory information by notifying the Registrar's Office in writing within two weeks after the first day of class for the fall term.

Requests for non-disclosure will be honored by the institution for only one academic year; therefore, authorization to withhold directory information must be filed annually in the Registrar's Office.

A record of all disclosures will be maintained in the student record, except when the request is made by (1) the eligible student, (2) a school official who has been determined to have a legitimate educational interest, (3) a party with written consent from the eligible student, or (4) a party seeking directory information. The record of each disclosure will contain the name of the parties who have requested or received information and the legitimate interest the parties had in requesting or obtaining the information.

Review Process

The Act provides students with the right to inspect and review information contained in their educational records, to challenge the contents of their educational records, to have a hearing if the outcome of the challenge is unsatisfactory, and to submit explanatory statements for inclusion in their files if they feel the decisions of the hearing panel to be unacceptable. The Registrar's Office and the Vice President for Student Affairs' Office have been designated by the institution to coordinate the inspection and review procedures for student educational records, which include admissions, personnel, academic and financial files, and placement records. Students wishing to review their education records must make written requests to the registrar or the vice president for student affairs, listing the item or items of interest. Records covered by the Act will be made available within 45 days of the request. All documents will be reviewed in the presence of a designated official. Any document a student may see he may have copies of, unless a financial hold exists, the document involves another person, or the student has waived his or her right to access. These copies would be made at the student's expense at 10 cents a page.

Restricted Information

As outlined by the Act, a student may not inspect and review the following: financial information submitted by parent(s)/guardian(s); letters of recommendation to which the student has waived the rights of inspection and review; or education records containing information about more than one student, in which case the institution will permit access only to that part of the record which pertains to the inquiring student. The institution is not required to permit a student to inspect and review confidential letters and recommendations placed in the files prior to January 1, 1975, provided the letters were collected under established policies of confidentiality and were used only for the purposes for which they were collected.

Challenge Procedures

A student who believes that the education records contain information that is inaccurate or misleading or otherwise in violation of his/her privacy or other rights may ask the College to amend a record. The student should write the College official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record he/she wants changed, and specify why the student believes it is inaccurate or misleading. The College official should consult with the vice president for student affairs or the registrar. If the decisions of the College official are in agreement with the student's request, the appropriate record will be amended. If not, the student will be notified within a reasonable period of time that the record will not be amended, and the student will be informed by the registrar or the vice president for student affairs of the right to a formal hearing. A request for a formal hearing must be made in writing to the chief academic officer (vice president for academic affairs), who, within a reasonable period of time after receiving such request, will inform the student of the date, place and time of the hearing. Such a written request will be deemed a consent to disclosure to the hearing panel of the student's records to the extent necessary for the appeal to be considered and decided. The hearing will be conducted according to the challenge procedure adopted by the College. At the hearing, the student may present evidence relevant to the issues raised and may be assisted or represented by not more than two people of the student's choice. The hearing panel that will adjudicate such challenges will be the chief academic officer (vice president for academic affairs), the registrar if the challenge concerns a document maintained by the vice president for student affairs, the vice president for student affairs if the challenge concerns a document maintained by the registrar, two faculty members selected by the Faculty Steering Committee and two student members selected by Student Senate. No member of the hearing panel may have a direct interest in the outcome of the hearing.

Decisions of the hearing panel will be final, will be based solely on the evidence presented at the hearing, and will consist of a written determination that will include a summary of the evidence, the decision, and the reasons for the decisions, and will be delivered to all parties concerned. The panel may decide to revise or amend a record by inserting corrective information into the student's file, or to allow a record to stand. If the decision is unsatisfactory to the student, the student may place with the education record statements commenting on the information in the record or statements setting forth any reasons for disagreeing with the decisions of the hearing panels. The statements will be placed in the education record, maintained as part of the student record, and released whenever the record in question is disclosed.

A student has the right to submit a written complaint to the Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue SW, Washington, D.C. 20202-4605, if the student believes the College has violated the student's right under the Family Education Rights
and Privacy Act.

Revisions, clarifications and changes may be made in this policy at any time and will be effective upon publication by e-mail, printed announcement distributed to all students, posting in a prominent location on campus, or any combination of those means, or publication in subsequent editions of the Student Handbook.

Annual Notification

Students will be notified of their FERPA rights annually by publication in the Student Handbook.

Types, Locations and Custodians of Records

The following is a list of the types of records that the College maintains,
their locations and their custodians.

Types Location Custodian
Admissions Records Vice President for Student Affairs
Ferguson Building
Vice President
Cumulative Academic
Registrar's Office
Ferguson Building
Health Records Student Health Services
Cass Street Building
Counseling Records Counseling Services
616 E. Michigan Ave.
Financial Aid Records Office of Financial Aid
Ferguson Building
Financial Records Accounting Office
Ferguson Building
Placement Records Career Development
Ferguson Building
Progress Records Registrar's Office
Ferguson Building
Faculty Office
Individual Office
Instructor, Adviser
Disciplinary Records Vice President for Student Affairs
Ferguson Building
Vice President
Occasional Records (Student education records not included in the types above such as minutes of faculty committee meetings, copies of correspondence in offices not listed, etc.) Appropriate official will collect such records, direct the student to their location, or otherwise make them available for inspection and review The College official who maintains such occasional records

Academic Honors and Activities

Albion encourages students to expand their experience both inside and outside of the classroom. A wide range of extra-curricular and co-curricular activities provide recreational and educational opportunities for all students. These include honor societies, honorary organizations, departmental clubs, off-campus study, interdisciplinary courses, performing arts, and more. In addition, Albion provides a complete intramural and varsity athletic program which is described in the Student Life section of this catalog.

Academic Honors

Dean's Honor List -- Those full-time students whose grade point average is 3.5 or above at the completion of a semester are named to the Dean's List issued at the close of each semester. To qualify, students must take at least three units in graded courses and successfully complete four units. All course work must be completed on the Albion College campus.

Departmental Honors -- Qualified departmental majors may present papers to be considered for departmental honors. Normally such students will have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher in their major department and will have conducted the work as part of a directed study. A student whose GPA is lower than 3.0, but whose work promises a thesis of high quality, may petition the major department for permission to submit a thesis. A student whose thesis is accepted by the department will graduate with "departmental honors."

Graduation Recognition -- Three grades of recognition are conferred at graduation. For students graduating in 2006 and after, cum laude is granted to those who have a grade point average of 3.5 to 3.749; magna cum laude is granted to those who have a grade point average of 3.75 to 3.899; and summa cum laude is granted to those who have a grade point average of 3.9 or above. A student must complete at least three semesters of study at Albion College to be considered for graduation recognition.

Graduation Honors -- Students who successfully complete Albion's Prentiss M. Brown Honors Institute and maintain a grade point average of 3.5 will graduate "with Albion College honors.''

Honor Societies

Phi Beta Kappa is the oldest of the national honorary societies, founded in 1776. The Beta chapter of Michigan was established at Albion in 1940. Members are usually seniors in the top 10 percent of their graduating class who meet the chapter's liberal studies and residency requirements.

Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society, was founded in 1866 as an honor society for scientists and engineers. The Albion chapter, started in 1959, includes faculty and students who are involved in scientific research. Students who have done research at Albion or in an approved off-campus program and who anticipate a career in science are eligible for nomination as associate members.

Albion College Fellows have attained a 3.7 average for three successive semesters on campus. They must also take at least three units in graded courses and successfully complete four units each semester. Participation in an approved off-campus program does not prevent students from qualifying at the end of the semester after they return.

Mortar Board, a national honorary, was established at Albion in 1941 to honor women who have been outstanding in scholarship, leadership and service. In 1976 the Albion chapter voted to make its membership coeducational.

Omicron Delta Kappa, national leadership honorary, was established at Albion in 1942 to honor juniors and seniors who have actively contributed to campus life and scholarship.

Alpha Lambda Delta, national freshman scholastic honorary, recognizes students who have received a 3.5 average at the end of their first semester or have an accumulative 3.5 at the end of their freshman year, based on at least three units of graded courses per semester. Alpha Lambda Delta was established at Albion in 1940.

Departmental Honoraries and Clubs

Many academic departments of the College sponsor honoraries in recognition of high scholarship. Minimum requirements for membership in these honoraries usually include: a departmental grade average of 3.0; an all-College grade average of 2.5; a major or minor in the respective department; and sophomore standing, although second semester freshmen are eligible in very unusual cases. The departments and their respective organizations include:

Biology -- Beta Beta Beta (national)
Chemistry -- Fall Chemistry Club
Economics -- Omicron Delta Epsilon (national)
English -- Joseph J. Irwin Honorary Society
Geology -- Sigma Gamma Epsilon (national)
History -- Phi Alpha Theta (national)
Mathematics -- Kappa Mu Epsilon (national)
Music -- Pi Kappa Lambda (national)
Physics -- Sigma Pi Sigma (national)
Political Science -- Pi Sigma Alpha (national)
Psychology -- Psi Chi (national)
Public Policy -- Pi Sigma Sigma (national)
Sociology -- Alpha Kappa Delta (national)

Many departments also have their own clubs designed to encourage interest and to supplement the work in the classroom.

Departmental awards are given on a broad range of criteria to students in the form of prizes, honors and other distinctions. Students are urged to familiarize themselves with the awards by contacting the respective departmental chair.

Scholarships and Fellowships for International Study

The national scholarships and fellowships listed below assist students who wish to study and/or conduct research abroad. Because the selection process for these awards is highly competitive, students are strongly encouraged to consult with the campus advisers for these programs during the application process.

Freeman-ASIA�The primary goal of the Freeman-ASIA Program is to increase the number of U.S. undergraduates who study in East and Southeast Asia by providing students with the information and financial assistance they will need. Awardees are expected to share their experiences with their home campus to encourage study abroad by others and to spread understanding of Asia in their home communities. For more information, see

Fulbright Grants�Congress created the Fulbright program in 1946 to foster mutual understanding among nations through educational and cultural exchanges. Each year, the Fulbright program enables U.S. students, artists and other professionals to study or conduct research in more than 100 nations. The program offers Fulbright full grants, Fulbright travel grants, foreign and private grants and teaching opportunities. Brochures, application forms and information are available from the Office of International Education or the Fulbright campus adviser, Gene Cline, Prentiss M. Brown Honors Institute. The campus application deadline is Oct. 1. For more information, see

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program�The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program reduces barriers to study abroad by providing assistance to those undergraduate students who have demonstrated financial need. This program offers a competition for awards for study abroad, for U.S. citizens who are receiving federal Pell Grant funding. Pell recipients planning to study abroad should also apply for a Gilman Scholarship. This congressionally funded program is offered through the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State and is administered by the Institute of International Education. Selected by competition, recipients are awarded up to $5,000 to defray the costs associated with studying abroad. For more information, see

British Marshall Scholarships�Established by an act of Parliament in 1953 to commemorate the ideals of the European Recovery Programme (the Marshall Plan), the British Marshall scholarships are intended to enable "intellectually distinguished young Americans to study in the United Kingdom and thereby to gain an understanding and appreciation of the British way of life." Applications must be submitted on prescribed forms available by mid-May from the Office of International Education or the Marshall campus adviser, Alfred Pheley, Gerald R. Ford Institute for Public Policy and Service. The campus application deadline is Oct. 1. For more information, see

NSEP Scholarships�Established by the National Security Education Act of 1991, NSEP scholarships aim to provide U.S. undergraduate students with the resources and encouragement they need to acquire expertise in languages, cultures and countries less commonly taught in the United States. NSEP scholarships can be applied for study in all countries except Western Europe, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Applications can be obtained from the Office of International Education or the NSEP campus adviser. The campus application deadline is Dec. 1. For more information, see

Rhodes Scholarship�The Rhodes scholarship provides for study at Oxford University and is one of the most competitive awards available. Applicants must demonstrate outstanding intellectual and academic achievement, but they must also be able to show integrity of character, interest in and respect for their fellow beings, the ability to lead and the energy to use their talents to the fullest. Forms and information are available from the Office of International Education or the Rhodes campus adviser, Geoffrey Cocks, Department of History. The campus application deadline is Oct. 1. For more information, see

Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarships�The primary purpose of this program is to further international understanding and friendly relations among people of different countries. Scholarship applications need to be made more than a year in advance of the planned study abroad program experience. Rotary awards provide for all expenses of most semester and year-long study-abroad programs. For more information, see

Information on other study-abroad scholarships may be obtained in the Center for International Education.

Scholarships and Fellowships for Study in the United States

The scholarships and fellowships listed below are awarded nationally to undergraduate students who wish to continue their studies in the areas specified by the respective program. Because the selection process for these awards is highly competitive, students are strongly encouraged to consult with the campus advisers for these programs during the application process.

Jack Kent Cooke Graduate Scholarship Program�The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation provides scholarships to college seniors or recent college graduates of high need to enable them to attend graduate or professional schools. Approximately 65 of these scholarships are awarded annually. In order to apply, you must be nominated by our campus representative, Gene Cline, Department of Philosophy. For more information, see

Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship�The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program �was established by Congress in 1986 to honor Senator Barry M. Goldwater, who served his country for 56 years as a soldier and statesman.� The purpose of the foundation is to develop highly qualified scientists, mathematicians and engineers by awarding scholarships to college students who intend to pursue careers in these fields. For more information, contact the Goldwater campus representative, Dean McCurdy, Department of Biology, or see

National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships�The program recognizes and supports graduate students pursuing research-based master's and doctoral degrees in science, technology, engineering and mathematics disciplines. "NSF Fellows are expected to become knowledge experts who can contribute significantly to research, teaching and innovations in science and engineering." For more information, go to:

Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship Program�Outstanding students who are interested in pursuing a foreign service career with the U.S. Department of State may apply for a Pickering fellowship during their sophomore year. The fellowship award includes tuition, room, board and mandatory fees during the junior and senior years of college and during the first year of graduate study with reimbursement for books and round trip travel. The fellow must commit to pursuing a graduate degree in international studies at one of the graduate schools identified by the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation. Fellows meet annually in Washington, D.C., for a program orientation. Only U.S. citizens will be considered for the Pickering fellowships. Women, members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service, and students with financial need are encouraged to apply. For more information, see

Harry S. Truman Scholarship�These awards go to college juniors with �exceptional leadership potential who are committed to careers in government, the nonprofit or advocacy sectors, education or elsewhere in the public service. . . .� Approximately 80 awards are given annually for support in graduate school. For more information, contact the campus adviser, Alfred Pheley, Gerald R. Ford Institute for Public Policy and Service, or go to

Morris K. Udall Undergraduate Scholarship�These highly competitive scholarships are awarded to college sophomores and juniors who have demonstrated commitment to careers related to the environment or who are Native American or Alaska Native and have demonstrated commitment to careers related to tribal public policy or health care. Interested students should prepare to apply at least a year in advance of the application deadline. Forms and information are available from the Udall campus representative, Timothy Lincoln, Department of Geological Sciences. For more information, see

Academic Status

The academic record of each student is reviewed at the close of the fall and spring semesters by the Committee on Academic Status and Petitions. Specific attention is given to the student's progress both in completing units of credit and in maintaining the minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average which are required for graduation from the College. Students who fail to demonstrate satisfactory progress toward graduation may be required to withdraw from the College. The committee determines academic status and is guided in its decisions by the following standards:

Good Standing -- A student whose semester and cumulative grade point averages are 2.0 or above is considered to be in good standing.

Semester Probation -- A student who has a semester grade point average below 2.0 for one semester and has a cumulative grade point average above 2.0 will be placed on semester probation.

Academic Probation -- A student is placed on academic probation whenever his/her cumulative grade point average falls below the 2.0 level, or when the semester average falls below a 2.0 for two consecutive semesters, even though the cumulative average remains a 2.0 or above.

Terminal Academic Probation -- Some students, because of their extremely low grade point averages, are classified under terminal academic probation and given a specific grade point average to obtain for their work during the following semester. A student who fails to meet the requirements of terminal academic probation may be subject to required academic withdrawal.

Required Academic Withdrawal -- A student is subject to academic withdrawal if his or her academic progress does not meet either of the following minimums at the end of the semester listed:

1.00 with a minimum of 3 units completed at the end of the first semester of attendance;

1.62 with a minimum of 6 units completed at the end of the second semester of attendance;

1.75 with a minimum of 9 units completed at the end of the third semester of attendance;

1.81 with a minimum of 13 units completed at the end of the fourth semester of attendance;

1.90 with a minimum of 17 units completed at the end of the fifth semester of attendance;

2.00 with a minimum of 21 units completed at the end of the sixth semester of attendance;

2.00 with a minimum of 25 units completed at the end of the seventh semester of attendance.

A student is also subject to academic withdrawal if he or she fails to obtain a minimum semester grade point average of 2.0 for work in three consecutive semesters, or meet the requirements of terminal academic probation.

Other Policies on Academic Status

Insufficient Progress toward Degree and Registration Holds -- The College reserves the right to deny access to classes for students who make insufficient progress toward a degree. Students who are declared in a major, minor or concentration but make insufficient progress may be removed from that major, minor and/or concentration. Students who fail to declare a major by the end of their sophomore year will not be permitted to register. Normally, students complete degree requirements within eight semesters. If students have not completed graduation requirements within eight graded semesters, they must petition the Committee on Academic Status and Petitions for permission to continue enrollment for each additional semester needed to complete requirements.

Veteran's Requirements -- A veteran or eligible person receiving VA benefits cannot be certified by Albion College as a student making satisfactory progress towards a degree if this student is on academic probation longer than two semesters. VA benefits will cease after two semesters of probation. The Veteran's Administration will be notified of any veteran who fails a course or who is not making satisfactory progress. In order to be recertified for veteran's benefits the student must remove all quality point deficiencies and earn a cumulative grade point average of 2.0.

Leave of Absence -- Leave of absence is a privilege that may be requested for those who desire to interrupt, but not to discontinue permanently, their enrollment at Albion for one or two semesters. Applications must be made in writing to the vice president for student affairs prior to the semester in which the student is requesting the leave of absence. A student who is granted a leave of absence may participate in enrollment procedures of regularly enrolled students for such considerations as registration, room lottery and applications for financial assistance. The student is expected to return to Albion following leave.

Voluntary Withdrawal from College -- Students who wish to withdraw from the College during the semester (i.e., withdrawing after enrollment has been completed at the beginning of a semester and before the completion of final exams) should initiate the withdrawal process by contacting the Student Affairs Office and submitting a Mid-Semester Withdrawal Notification Form.

Readmission -- Graduates or former students may apply for readmission to the College at the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. Applications for readmission are to be submitted at least one month prior to the beginning of the semester in which the student wishes to return. Students are charged a readmission fee of $50.

Nondegree Status (Special Student Status) -- Applies to students enrolled for special programs designed to fill particular needs but not usually leading toward graduation. This status normally applies only to students at the freshman or sophomore level. Re-enrollment as a nondegree student is dependent upon the maintenance of a minimum grade of 2.0 in each course in which the student is enrolled. A nondegree student must submit appropriate credentials to the Admissions Office one month in advance of registration. Nondegree students who wish to become candidates for the bachelor of arts degree must formally apply for admission to the College.


Frederick M. Adams, chairman-Michigan, Northern Trust Bank, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan (2011 T).

Carolyn E. Aishton, vice president, corporate programs (retired), Avon Products, Inc., New York, New York (2010 T). *Vice chairman for nominations.

Robert A. Armitage, senior vice president and general counsel, Eli Lilly & Co., Indianapolis, Indiana (2009 T).

Daniel Boggan, Jr., chief operating officer (retired), National Collegiate Athletic Association, Indianapolis, Indiana (2011 T).  *Vice chairman for buildings and grounds.

Meagan C. Burton, graduate assistant to the associate provost, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont (2009 R).

Diane S. Carr, attorney, Brookover and Carr, Lansing, Michigan (2010 A).

Stephen M.G. Charnley, pastor, Gull Lake United Methodist Church, Richalnd, Michigan (2010 W).

Stephen I. Greenhalgh, attorney, Bodman, L.L.P., Detroit, Michigan (2011 A).

Robert B. Hetler, partner (retired), PricewaterhouseCoopers, L.L.P., New Orleans, Louisiana (2009 T).  *Chairman of the Audit Committee.

Anne H. Hunter, president, Marketing Source USA, Inc., Edina, Minnesota (2009 A). *Vice chairman for enrollment and community relations.

David K. Johnson, physician, Lansing Institute of Urology, Lansing, Michigan (2011 A).

Jonathan D. Keaton, bishop, Michigan Area, United Methodist Church, Southfield, Michigan.

Carol A. Leisenring, co-director, Financial Institutions Center, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (2009 T). *Chairman of the Investment Committee.

Thomas L. Ludington, judge, U.S. District Court, Bay City, Michigan (2011 T). *Vice chairman for business and finance.

Robert D. Musser III, president, The Grand Hotel, Mackinac Island, Michigan (2010 A).

Mark E. Newell, J.D., vice chairman, Latham & Watkins, L.L.P., Washington, DC (2010 T).

JoEllen Parker, executive director, National Institute for Technology and Liberal Education, Ann Arbor, Michigan (2010 D).

Jeffrey C. Petherick, founder/partner, Northpointe Capital, Troy, Michigan (2011 T).

Donna M. Randall, president, Albion College (ex-officio).

Charles G. Raphael, vice president, retail banking group (retired), Bank One Corp., Bloomfield Hills, Michigan (2009 A).

William A. Ritter, senior minister (retired), Birmingham First United Methodist Church, Birmingham, Michigan (2010 D).

Stephen Sanney, recent graduate, (2010 R).

William Schuette, judge, Michigan Court of Appeals, Lansing, Michigan (2010 T).

Joseph O. Serra, president, Serra Automotive, Grand Blanc, Michigan (2009 T).

Thomas C. Shearer, J.D., president, Thomas C. Shearer, P.C., Grand Rapids, Michigan (2009 W).

J. Donald Sheets, chief financial officer, Dow Corning Corp., Midland, Michigan (2009 T).

Richard M. Smith, chairman, Newsweek, New York, New York. (2011 T). *Vice chairman for academic and student affairs.

William K. Stoffer, chief executive officer, Albion Machine and Tool Company, Albion, Michigan (2011 T). *Vice chairman for institutional advancement.

Coletta N. Thomas, Ph.D. candidate, women�s issues counselor, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.

Paul D. Tobias, chairman and chief executive officer, mBank, Birmingham, Michigan (2011 T). *Chairman.

John N. Vournakis, vice president for research and development, Marine Polymer Technologies, Danvers, Massachusetts (2011 T).

James M. Wilson, head, Gene Therapy Program, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (2011 T).

The year in parentheses after each name indicates the date the individual's term on the Board of Trustees expires. T--elected by the Board of Trustees; A--
elected by the Albion College Alumni Association; D--elected by the Detroit
Conference of the United Methodist Church; W--elected by the West Michigan
Conference of the United Methodist Church. R--recent graduate trustee

*Indicates officer of the Board of Trustees.

Honorary Trustees

Richard L. Baird, partner, Global ABAS Operations, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Chicago, Illinois.

David M. Barrett, chief executive officer, Lahey Clinic, Burlington, Massachusetts.

Prentiss M. Brown, Jr., partner, Brown & Brown attorneys, St. Ignace, Michigan.

Chris T. Christ, attorney, Battle Creek, Michigan.

William C. Ferguson, Verizon Communications, White Plains, New York.

Janet M. Goudie, fashion consultant, Doncaster, Rochester, Michigan

Todd W. Herrick, president and chief executive officer, Tecumseh Products Company, Tecumseh, Michigan.

Edmund L. Jenkins, chairman (retired), Financial Accounting Standards Board,
Norwalk, Connecticut.

Stanley Jones, vice president (retired), Unisys Corporation, Detroit, Michigan.

James A. Klungness, president (retired), Cable Constructors, Inc., Iron Mountain,

Bruce A. Kresge, physician (retired), Lake Angelus, Michigan.

Arnold G. Langbo, chairman (retired), Kellogg Company, Battle Creek, Michigan.

John S. Ludington, chairman emeritus, Dow Corning Corporation, Midland,

Alan W. Ott, chairman of the board (retired), Chemical Financial Corporation,
Midland, Michigan.

John W. Porter, education consultant (retired), Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Judy Dow Rumelhart, vocalist, director, producer, Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Andrew G. Sharf, cardiovascular surgeon, Santa Ynez, California.

Justin L. Sleight, ophthalmologist (retired), Lansing, Michigan.

Wendell B. Will, president, Capital Ideas, Glendale, California.

Jess Womack, interim general counsel, Los Angeles Unified School District, Los Angeles, California.

More Articles ...