Students should note the following information before deciding which phase of Room Selection to participate in. Due to safety restrictions and electrical load limitations, student provided window air-conditioners (A/C units) are permitted on a limited basis and must be approved by the Window Air-Conditioner Petition Committee prior to installation under the following conditions.
- Student has a severe chronic medical condition (e.g. asthma, allergy) that necessitates use of air-conditioning.
- Student submits physician verification as explained below.
- Personal window A/C units are not encouraged and will only be approved if evidence of severe chronic medical condition requiring air-conditioning is presented. Electrical power (amps) per room is limited and not designed for heavy appliances. Not all rooms at Albion College can support the addition of a personal window A/C unit and operation of a personal window A/C unit could limit the number of other electrical items a student will be able to have in his or her room.
The following guidelines must be adhered to for use of a personal window A/C unit.
- Student must have a severe chronic medical condition that necessitates the use of air conditioning.
- Student must complete a Window Air-Conditioner Petition. Petitions are available through the Office of Residential Life. Please contact us to request one of these petitions.
- Please note: If the student is approved for a AC unit, there are fees associated with this. Please see the Associated Fees section below for more information.
- The student will be notified of the Window Air-Conditioner Petition Committee's decision via email.
- If a student is approved to have a personal A/C unit, the student must personally provide the unit following the guidelines below. Albion College does not provide A/C units for student residences.
- Albion College Facilities Operations staff will install the A/C unit within 5-10 business days after approval is given to the student. A/C units will not be installed prior to the official approved arrival date of the student for Fall Semester. If approval is received prior to the student's arrival on campus, Albion College Facilities Operations staff will install the A/C unit within 5 business days after the student arrives on campus.
- Approval for a personal A/C unit does not carry over from one academic year to the next. Students must request permission on an annual basis. No A/C units will be installed after September 30 during the Fall Semester.
- Albion College Facilities Operation Staff reserves the right to refuse to install or can remove A/C units if the A/C unit does not meet the specifications listed below or if the student has not been approved to have a A/C unit. Due to liability reasons, all units must be installed and removed by the Facilities Operations Staff. Guidelines and requirements for personal A/C units:
- Units must be a maximum of 6,000BTUs
- A minimum EER (Energy Efficient Ratio) rating of 8.
- Units must be appropriate for the type of window and come with a window installation kit. Refer to the list below indicating where air-conditioning is already provided, where student owned A/C units are permitted if the student is approved to have a personal unit, and where A/C units cannot be supported.
- Air-conditioned student residence are:
- 507 Erie Street Annex
- Erie Street Apartments
- The Mae Apartments
- Munger Annex
Approved A/C units are permitted in the following residential units if a student has received approval because of a severe chronic medical condition and has followed the approval process:
- Mitchell Towers
- Wesley Hall
- Whitehouse Hall
Personal A/C units are not permitted in the following residential units because either the type of window in the building will not accommodate an A/C unit or the electrical power is not appropriate for an A/C unit. If a student anticipates requesting permission for an A/C unit, the student should not participate in Room Selection for the following buildings or understand if assigned to one of the buildings listed below the student will not be permitted to have an A/C unit:
- 1112 Porter Street Annex
- Briton Apartments
- Burns Street Apartments
- Dean Hall
- Fiske House
- Ingham Hall
All A/C units must be installed and removed by the Facilities Operations staff. If an extension cord is necessary it must be a heavy duty, three-wire, 12 awg, appliance rated extension cord and be provided by the student. A/C units must be removed during winter months (from approximately Thanksgiving Break through Spring Break).
There are two (2) fees associated with A/C units as described below:
- An installation charge of $50.00 is required which includes initial installation, removal for winter months and re-installation for the second half of spring semester and final removal at the end of the academic year.
- Appropriate storage of the A/C unit is the responsibility of the student.
- A fee of $50.00 per semester will also be charged to the student in addition to the installation charge in order to offset the cost of the additional energy consumed.
These charges will be assessed to student accounts upon approval and installation.
To obtain a Window Air-Conditioner Petition, please contact us.