Additional Resources

Student Life

Experience four years’
worth of the best day ever.

You’ll find more to do, more to
discover, more cool people to hang
out with, and more opportunities to
get involved. At Albion College,
your life just gets more.

Intercultural Affairs Staff

Keena Williams, Director for Intercultural Affairs
Keena Williams
Director & President's Special Advisor for Global Diversity
Phone: 517/629-0501

Keena Williams, Assistant Director for Global Diversity
Clarence J. Stirgus
Assistant Director for Global Diversity
Phone: 517/629-0501

Robert Wilson, Jr., Intercultural Affairs Coordinator
Robert Wilson, Jr.
Intercultural Affairs Coordinator
Phone: 517/629-0501

Pam Schuler
Assistant Director, Service and Leadership
Phone: 517/629-0492

Smooth Transitions Mentor Program

Smooth Transitions mentors on move-in day at Albion College

Why be part of the mentoring program?

"[The] Support, love, care, and advice from people whom I respect and will keep in my life forever."
-C. J., Class of 2012, former mentee and mentor

The Smooth Transitions Mentor Program provides academic and social support to foster student growth and adjustment to Albion College and the surrounding community. Interested first-year under-represented students from different racial/ethnic backgrounds are matched with an upper-class student. Student mentors meet weekly with their mentees, conduct study sessions, and encourage students' involvement on campus.

Register Now

Albion College is committed to the development of a diverse and pluralistic living and learning community. In direct support of this College-wide aim, the Office of Intercultural Affairs works in cooperation with the campus and greater community to heighten awareness of and create an appreciation for diversity. The office coordinates and promotes cultural and educational programs. The office actively assists students with their transition into and retention at the College.

  • One-on-One mentoring ratio
  • Social support
  • Time management skills
  • Off-campus bowling
  • Meals with faculty, staff and community friends
  • Involvement with campus clubs and activities
  • Inside tips about campus
  • Late night study breaks
  • Career workshop
  • Academic and staff resources
  • Opportunities to attend student conferences
  • Leadership development
  • Build friendships
  • Diversity advocacy and support

For more information:

Office of Intercultural Affairs
Albion College
KC Box 4672
611 E. Porter St.
Albion, MI 49224

1000 E. Porter St. #203


Residency Requirement and Residency Exemption

Albion College affirms the educational benefits inherent in the residential aspect of the undergraduate experience, and as such requires all students to reside and board within the College residential system. As a residential campus, students are expected to reside in College housing for the duration of their enrollment. The Office of Residential Life is committed to helping students make a housing decision that will best meet their individual needs. Albion College's housing options are designed for students to have the opportunity during their 4 years to progress from a traditional housing option as first and second year students to housing options which provide opportunities for greater responsibility to their assigned residential community.

Student Residence and Board Policies

Exemptions to the residence policy are granted to students who fall under one or more of the following categories:

  1. Commuters, defined as students who reside with their parents or legal guardians not more than 25 miles from the Albion College campus. The residence must be with parents or guardians, not other relatives. The application must be accompanied by evidence that the address given is the bona fide principal residence* of the parents or guardians and has been for at least five years. That should include, at a minimum, a copy of an assessment notice showing that the property is assessed as the principal residence of the owner, and evidence of ownership for the required time. If parents or guardians have changed their principal residence within the five-year period, there must also be evidence of sale of the previous residence. If the parents or guardians rent, and do not own, their residence, copies of leases reflecting the necessary continuous period of occupancy must be provided. Further corroborating information may be required at the discretion of the Residential Life staff.
  2. Married students.
  3. Students with legal dependents currently living with them.
  4. Students age 23 or older (housing can be provided if desired).
  5. United States military veterans.

Application to apply for one of the exemptions must be made on a form available at the Office of Residential Life, with supporting documentation as required in the instructions with that form.

*“Principal residence” means the one place where an owner of the property has his or her true, fixed, and permanent home to which, whenever absent, he or she intends to return and that shall continue as a principal residence until another principal residence is established.

Automatic exemptions to the board policy are granted to students who fall under one of the following categories:

  1. Apartment residents (Briton House Apartments, Burns Street Apartments, Erie Street Apartments, Mae Harrison Karro Residential Village, and Munger Apartments).
  2. Fraternity members.
  3. Students not residing in College owned housing.
    1. Students who do not qualify for the exemption listed above may submit a Petition for Special Housing Accommodation or Board Exemption Petition based on extreme or unusual circumstances. Petitions should be submitted to the director for residential life during the room selection process for the following academic year. These petitions will be reviewed by the Residential Life Petitions Review Committee. Board petitions are usually granted for medical purposes only. Such petitions must be supported by the Residential Life Petitions Review Committee.

There will be no refund of the room fee once the semester begins, including the room fee charged to students who are granted an exemption to the residence policy.

To Petition for Residency Exemption, students must complete a Petition through the Office of Residential Life by Tuesday, March 14, 2017 by 4:00 PM. These students must fall into one or more of the 5 categories listed above. Petitions can be obtained online as well as from the Office of Residential Life (Ferguson 124).

Please note that the Petitions Committee only meets once annually. All decisions being rendered are for the 2017-2018 Academic Year. Therefore, if a student is interested in Petitioning for Residency Exemption for Spring 2018, they should submit their Petition durng the Spring 2017 Room Selection Process. Students should plan accordingly.

Housing Options if I am a Rising Sophomore

To be considered a Sophomore-level student you must have between 6.00 and 13.99 units by the start of the Fall 2017 semester. Please read through the Room Selection Eligibility section in Important Information for more information regarding qualifications for participating in Room Selection. 


Mitchell Towers and Whitehouse Hall are two residence halls within the "suite-style" housing option. Both halls have two double-occupancy rooms connected by a bathroom (gender specific). There are common areas on each floor that offer opportunities for studying or socializing. Within each hall, Residential Life student staff work to create thriving communities. Students residing in Mitchell Towers and Whitehouse Hall are required to be on the College Board Plan. Click the name of a residence hall for more building specific information and access to the application. All students are required to submit an updated Emergency Contact Form at the time their application is submitted.


Suite Applications are due Thursday, March 30, 2017 by 4:00 PM.

General Room Selection

The general room selection is the final phase of the room selection process. The rooms available for selection during this phase are determined at the completion of all other phases and are based on the remaining students' need for housing assignments balanced with the need for space to assign housing to the incoming first-year class. A selected number of returning students will be assigned to Seaton Hall during this process. All students are required to submit an updated Emergency Contact Form at the time their application is submitted.

2017-2018 General Room Selection Application

General Room Selection Applications are due Thursday, April 6, 2017 by 4:00 PM.

Special Interest Housing

Dean Hall

Dean Hall is a women's cooperative housing unit open to sophomore through senior-status students. As a cooperative, Dean offers a unique community living experience. This includes regular community gatherings, shared meals, and other responsibilities as determined by the women living in the hall. All residents are required to be on the Dean Hall board plan. All students are required to submit an updated Emergency Contact Form at the time their application is submitted.

Dean Hall Applications are due Friday, March 3, 2017 by 4:00 PM.

For more information and to access the application, visit the Dean Hall page.

Fiske House

Fiske is the living-learning component of the Modern Languages and Cultures curriculum. Language students have the opportunity to hone their language skills by residing with native speakers and other students in their major or minor. Residents also participate in cultural activities open to the campus community. Residents of the Fiske House are required to be on the College Board Plan. All students are required to submit an updated Emergency Contact Form at the time their application is submitted.

Special Interest Housing Applications are due Friday, March 3, 2017 by 4:00 PM.

For more information and to access the application, visit the Fiske House page.

More Articles ...