Monthly Wellness Observances
Reducing Risk of Breast Cancer
- Healthy weight
- Low fat diet
- Dieticians suggest
- More than 5 cups of fruit and vegetables per day
- Foods high in omega-3s
- Avoid trans fats, red meats, charred and smoked foods
Other low-fat, low-cal, foods to snack on
Bold text denotes foods high in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Kidney beans
- Green beans, peas
- Multi-grain bread
- Chicken breast (baked, broiled)
For more snack ideas, visit self.com's list of Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Foods and Foods highest in Total Omega-3 fatty acids.
About Albion College Wellness
The Albion College Wellness program aims to enable and equip all faculty and staff members to make wise choices about their wellbeing and to become healthier, more productive members of the College community.
In 2013, Albion College made significant investment in the wellness of its employees by developing “the Depot,” a fitness center reserved solely for faculty and staff members.
Led by Campus Wellness Director, Tom Johnson, the Depot accommodates over 40 participants daily with more participants joining in regularly.
Four major elements comprise the FITT Brits program: education, physical activity, data collection, and outcomes. Johnson provides personalized support and consultation, regularly collects data from participants and has seen a steady reduction in total pounds and body mass index and an increase in the number of pushups and flexibility.
The Depot currently comprises a 572 sq. ft. workout area, a 300 sq. ft. room for spinning machines, two 208 sq. ft. offices, and small spaces along the walls that accommodate dumbbells, cardiovascular machines, and educational literature.
The goals of the Albion College Wellness Program include:
- Educating the Albion College Community to realize ownership of their own health
- Providing the Albion College Community with a supportive and inviting environment in which participants can work to improve their individual health habits
- Providing activities, equipment and instruction so that the members of the Albion College Community become more physically active
- Providing an avenue for Albion College students to learn about and facilitate activities as “Fitness Assistants.”
- Wallyball - M-F at 12 p.m. (group meets on the racquetball court)
- Spinning - M/W/F at 12 p.m. with Nikki Lee
- Kettlebell - T/TH at 12 p.m. with Erik Achenbach
- Tian Wu Dao - M/W/Th/F at 2-2:45 p.m. with Andy Boyan
- Kettlebell - M/W at 5 p.m. with Drew Dunham
- Personal Training - ongoing with Tom Johnson
For questions contact Tom Johnson at 517-629-0439 or via email at
100,000,000 step challenge
Please help Albion College reach our goal!
Albion College's October 100,000,000 Step Challenge
October is "National Walking Month" and Albion College is ready to make a statement – 100,000,000 steps walked by faculty, staff, students, family, alumni and friends.
You can track your steps with an app on your phone, your Fitbit or any other wearable fitness tracker, or a good ol' pedometer, whatever works best for you! Track your steps daily, log in to your Albion College Google account, go to the Submit Your Steps page and fill out the form to record your steps. Every step counts toward making the goal, so please join us in this challenge.
Submit Your Steps