Bobbie Denise Cole
- Communication Studies; minor in Ethnic Studies
- Graduate School:
- M.Ed., Grand Valley State University
- Dekalb, Ill.
- Associate Director for Residential Education, Northern Illinois University
- In a nutshell, what do you do?
- My position provides primary leadership in the areas of community and program development in the Northern Illinois University residence halls. I am responsible for the development of academic programs in the undergraduate residence halls. One of my major responsibilities is coordination and oversight of the Living-Learning Communities, and I serve as Housing & Dining's liaison with the academic community.
- What are you working on right now?
- I am currently working on assessment within our residence halls and really getting a grasp for how our residential educational initiatives are impacting student learning and the overall residential student experience.
- Why do you love what you do?
- I love that I have the opportunity to be a major part of the lives of my college students as they grow and develop into citizen leaders. College was one of the best experiences of my life; I discovered who I really was through my four years at Albion, and I am blessed to be able to help college students discover who they are and serve as a mentor/role model/advisor for them. In my new role, I get to go one step further and connect the classroom experience to a college student's everyday life. I love helping them to make those connections.
- How did Albion help you get there?
- Through the ups and downs that I experienced at Albion, there was always a staff member there to support me and keep pushing me forward. There was always a staff member providing a door or window of opportunity for me to grow, learn and develop. These staff members made me want to be that for someone else. It kind of brings the phrase 'each one, teach one' to life.
- For me, Albion ...
- ... was the place that helped me find me. I became a leader at Albion. I became a mentor. I became a resource. It gave me the drive and ambition to keep pushing forward and the confidence to know I could be a success.
Take It Further: Communication Studies, Ethnic Studies
More Success Stories