- Biology with pre-medicine concentration
- Graduate/Professional School:
- M.D./Ph.D., University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Resident Physician, Department of Psychiatry, University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill, N.C.
- In a nutshell, what do you do?
- Currently, I am a resident psychiatrist at UNC Hospitals, which means that I treat patients admitted to UNC, as well as the state psychiatric hospital who have acute psychiatric needs. I (under the guidance of an attending physician) am responsible for both their physical health and their mental health while they are in the hospital. I am also hoping to continue to pursue psychiatric medical research in the future.
- Why do you love what you do?
- Psychiatry is a wonderful field, where you get involved in the intimate details of people’s lives. Even more so than other fields of medicine, you recognize the importance of the social factors that influence an individual’s health—both physical and mental health. It is interesting work, and it can be highly rewarding. In addition, understanding the processes that lead to complex human behavior is a fascinating proposition.
- How did Albion help you get there?
- Albion provided me with the background in the basic sciences that allowed me to thrive in the academic aspects of medical school. It also gave me the tools to think critically and design interesting research projects. Essentially, my experiences there taught me the basics on how to learn, which have been instrumental in everything I’ve done.
- For me, Albion...
- ... provided a remarkable environment for me to grow during a critical period in my intellectual development. It has given me the tools necessary to analyze and optimize any situation I may encounter. I owe so much to my time there.
Take It Further: Biology, Pre-Medical / Pre-Health, Chemistry
More Success Stories