- Political Science and Philosophy (Law Justice and Society concentration, Gerald R. Ford Institute for Leadership in Public Policy and Service)
- Flint, Mich.
- Club Manager, Flint Local 432 / Red Ink Flint; Volunteer Services Assistant, Resource Genesee
- In a nutshell, what do you do?
- I’m a community organizer. I work on building community in various ways around the city of Flint. Specifically as Club Manager for Flint Local 432, I promote all-ages, substance free shows to help develop a community of artists, musicians, and patrons for area youth and adults. So basically I work in live audio production, social media management, marketing, and communications. In addition, with Resource Genesee I help organize various volunteer projects for folks within the JET Program through Michigan Works / Career Alliance. In order to receive cash-assistance, they are required to work, go to school, or volunteer, so we find meaningful community volunteer projects for them. We work with countless non-profits in Genesee County to help develop work skills and opportunities for low-income families.
- Why do you love what you do?
- Flint is a community that desperately needs energetic people who are willing to make a direct impact in their community. I find this city extremely interesting in that it has an environment where if you have an idea or passion to create positive, lasting change, you can find the support and connections to get things done. I love helping people realize their full potential, whether it be through the arts or through work education programs. On top of it all, I get to help other non-profits achieve their mission in a variety of ways. Every day is different, every day is something new.
- How did Albion help you get there?
- Albion helped develop the skills I needed to be adaptable in a rapidly changing environment. In the non-profit sector in Flint, there are always new challenges and struggles that require the ability to quickly adapt in order to keep going. Sometimes individuals may end up wearing multiple hats for their organizations and my ability to think critically as a result of my liberal arts education prepared me to handle new challenges. Being a versatile and well-rounded adult in my professional career is a direct result of the opportunities I had when I attended Albion College. My exceptional education from the faculty in the Political Science and Philosophy departments, membership in Tau Kappa Epsilon, and my involvement in several organizations helped make me a true modern renaissance man.
- For me, Albion...
- ...is an institution that turns young people into well-rounded adults capable of creating real and lasting change in virtually any sector of the economy.
Take It Further: Dan's NPR/Michigan Radio feature, Political Science, Philosophy, Pre-Law, Ford Institute
More Success Stories