- Communication Studies and English
- Graduate/Professional School:
- M.S.W., Univ. of Michigan
- Lathrup Village, Mich.
- Actor; social worker, Rochester, Mich., School District
- In a nutshell, what do you do?
- I basically have two professions. I am a professional actor as well as a school social worker working part-time in the Rochester School District.
- Can you explain your dual career path in more detail?
- As an actor, I work in many different venues. I have been fortunate enough to work pretty regularly at many of the professional theatres in Michigan. I have also been able to do films for the last several years here in Michigan as well as in Chicago and Pittsburgh. I also do voice-over work for commercials and radio spots.
As a social worker, I work with students both individually and in groups who have been certified as special education students. I am currently employed at the elementary level and service students in kindergarten through fifth grade.
- What are you working on right now?
- Currently, I am working on a play called White’s Lies at Meadow Brook Theatre in Rochester. In early summer, I will be at The Performance Network in Ann Arbor in a show called Becky Shaw. I also had roles in two films that were released last fall, Won’t Back Down and This Must Be the Place. I also have a role in the upcoming ABC Family movie Elixir, starring Jane Seymour, that is expected to be released this year.
- Why do you love what you do?
- I feel so lucky to have the jobs that I have. Within my social work job, it is so rewarding to be able to work with children and feel that I can make a difference—however small it might be—in their lives. With acting, I feel that same reward because I want each performance, whether it be on stage or on film, to be meaningful and help someone forget about their daily lives and get lost in the world created for them.
- How did Albion help you get there?
- Albion gave me so many volunteer opportunities and an off-campus internship in Philadelphia that really helped shape my path toward social work and working with children. Also, the Theatre Department and public speaking courses helped build my confidence and gave me the experience to take my acting skills to the next level.
- For me, Albion ...
- ... was a perfect fit! I wanted a school where I could try my hand in so many different venues in a smaller and nurturing environment to help me discover what path to take. I am so grateful for the volunteer opportunities, the off-campus internship, and being able to be on stage in a college setting. I grew so much as a person and as a performer at Albion. Having all those opportunities built my confidence to believe that I could have the same successes wherever I went next.
Take It Further: Sarab in Io Triumphe! (Fall-Winter 2011-12), Communication Studies, English, Theatre
More Success Stories