Disability - Short Term
Full-time faculty and administrative employees.
Albion College provides salary continuation to those full-time employees temporarily disabled due to a non-occupational accident or illness including, in the case of a female employee, pregnancy and pregnancy- related conditions.
An employee shall be eligible for full salary continuation and partial salary continuation as follows:
- Full salary will continue for two (2) weeks for each year of service up to ten (10) years of service, and three (3) weeks for each year of service over ten (10) years of service, up to a maximum of 26 weeks (6 months).
- Partial salary will continue at fifty percent (50%) of an employee's monthly salary for employees with less than five (5) years of service, which shall be payable after the exhaustion of the payments in step 1, up to a maximum of 26 weeks (6 months).
- Partial salary continues at sixty percent (60%) of an employee's monthly salary for employees with more than five (5) years of service, which shall be payable after the exhaustion of the payments in step 1 up to a combined maximum of twenty-six weeks.
- Full and partial salary continuation payments will be computed on the basis of the employee's salary at the time the medical leave commenced.
- Once an eligible employee recovers from a disability and returns to full-time work, the employee shall again be eligible for salary continuation.
- Subsequent disabilities arising from the same cause or a recurrence of a previous disability will be considered a new disability only if the employee has returned to work full time for a minimum of two (2) weeks.
- If an employee receives or is entitled to receive benefits from the disability provision of an individual "No Fault" automobile policy, benefits payable will be reduced by that amount of benefits the employee receives or is entitled to receive from the "No Fault" automobile policy.
- The College will require the employee to furnish written statements from a qualified physician specifying the nature and extent of the disability.
Revised 7/97 - Cabinet approved