Sexual Harassment Policy
Policy and Procedures for Addressing Complaints of Sexual Harassment
Albion College is committed to maintaining a living, learning, and working environment for students, faculty, and staff that is free of sexual harassment. Sexual harassment is contrary to the standards of the College community, and it is a barrier to fulfilling the College’s academic mission. Sexual harassment is also illegal. It is prohibited in the employment context by Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, in the education context by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 and, in both employment and education contexts, by Michigan’s Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act, adopted in 1976. It will not be tolerated at Albion College. All members of the College community have an obligation to participate in any investigation of a sexual harassment complaint.
Sexual harassment can be a very serious matter having far-reaching effects on the lives and careers of individuals. Intentionally false accusations can have similar impact. Both a person who sexually harasses another, and a person who knowingly and intentionally files a false complaint under this Policy, are subject to appropriate remedial action. An individual may engage in conduct of a sexual nature that may not be sufficiently severe, persistent, or pervasive to constitute sexual harassment as described below, but is nonetheless inappropriate. Such conduct may violate other College policies, and the College will take appropriate action.
Access the Policy and Procedures for Addressing Complaints of Sexual Harassment via this link.
Vendors, Contractors, Visitors, and Third Parties
In addition to members of the College community (as defined by Albion College), the College's sexual harassment policy applies to the conduct of vendors, contractors, visitors, and third parties. If a College student or employee believes that he or she has been subjected to conduct by a vendor, contractor, visitor, or third party that violates this policy, the student or employee should contact the Title IX Coordinator and Director for Human Resources, Lisa Locke at 517/629-0206. The College will respond as appropriate, given the nature of its relationship to the vendor, contractor, visitor, or third party.
Sexual Harassment Prevention Education and Awareness
Albion College is committed to maintaining a living, learning, and working environment for students, faculty, and staff that is free of sexual harassment. Sexual harassment is contrary to the standards of the College community, and it is a barrier to fulfilling the College's academic mission.
Education and awareness are essential to Albion College efforts against sexual harassment including sexual assault, and the College provides educational materials and programs. Education efforts shall include the on-going discussion of the sexual harassment policy and an understanding of what constitutes sexual harassment, procedures for addressing alleged sexual harassment, and methods for prevention of sexual harassment. Educational programs shall be held for new students (i.e., first-year and transfer students) and new faculty and staff members. Ongoing educational programs shall also be held for faculty, staff, and students.
Resources for support include the offices and program below. All information shared with these offices will remain confidential to the extent permitted by law and College policy.
For Further Information
Information concerning sexual harassment is available from the offices listed below.
- Anna Howard Shaw Women's Center (Kellogg Center, Room 448 - only written materials).
- Office of Campus Safety (1003 E. Cass St.): ext. 0255
- Office of Human Resources and Title IX Coordinator (1003 E. Cass St.): ext. 0206
- Office of the Provost (Ferguson Hall, Suite 201): ext. 0222
- Office of Vice President for Student Affairs (Ferguson Hall, Suite 216): ext. 0226
Also please see:
- Sexual Harassment Reference Guide 2015 - 16
- Sexual Assault Reference Guide 2015 - 16
- SAS: Local Sexual Assault Advocacy Program
- Sexual Assault Reporting Procedures 2015 - 16
- Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Reauthorization Preliminary Policies and Procedures
- The College Sexual Assault Policy is located in the Student Handbook, Section VI, Policies and Expectations, Appendix B www.albion.edu/handbook/policies-and-expectations
For Confidential Consultation
Faculty members, staff members, or students (as designated) may seek free and confidential consultation from the campus resources listed below.
- Counseling Center (students only): ext. 0236
- Student Health Services (students only): ext. 0220
- SAS: Local Sexual Assault Advocates (faculty , staff and students): See link above
- Employee Assistance Program (union employees and full-time salaried employees)